The aim of this module is to develop your ability to design and execute better strategy. It focuses on strategic decision-making and the long-term successful direction of an organisation.
You’ll explore central themes in corporate strategy and the key questions faced by multi-business firms, including:
- Under what conditions should firms engage in horizontal diversification?
- What are the pros and cons of vertical integration versus outsourcing?
- How can companies compete successfully in the international arena?
- How can corporate strategy be successfully implemented?
In addition to the fundamental theories of corporate strategy, you’ll also explore the application of these theories in real-life situations.
The module covers:
- What is our “strategy”?
- How can the characteristics of an industry be assessed and how do they contribute to determine companies’ profitability?
- What is competitive advantage and how can it be achieved?
- How can competitive advantage be sustained over time?
- The scope of the firm
- Horizontal diversification
- Vertical integration
- Geographic expansion
- Implementing corporate strategy